Classic movies are different from old movies. There are old movies that are not considered classic. However, most classic movies are old movies.
Usually, people think of a classic movie as an old movie. Most people consider a classic movie as that having black and white color, uninteresting scenes, and dirty pictures. But a classic movie is more than that. Being a classic means that a movie is already a favorite of all generations and have survived the test of time. Whoever or in whatever year it may be watched, people will still appreciate it. That’s the beauty and power of a classic movie. It has a staying power because it can relate to everyone regardless of age and time. Other term that may be synonymous to classic is timeless.
Finding Higher Joy Watching Classic Movies
Aside from great actors and great plots, classic movies also boast the beauty they have that modern movies don’t. One of the most obvious is the slower pace of scenes in classic movies. To some, this may be so boring because people who are used to watch modern films expect quick and fast-pace scenes. But that’s actually the beauty of classic movies. You have to wait and see what will happen and you’ll never regret you hold on until you saw the next thing.
Also, you may get annoyed with a black and white or low-colored classic film. Well, that’s another beauty of classic films–you can watch them as if you are in a time travel. You can see the technology then and compare it to the technology now. You’ll surely see a lot of development in the movie industry once you watched classic movies.
Classic movies are also considered artful documentation of the past. Some classic movies might feature breaking of the civil rights or women’s rights. Although you or some kids did not see the development in civil rights, you can surely appreciate how people fought for it. Some classic films feature civil rights violations while some may just show you how the things work before the civil rights.
Also, if you have a favorite director, why not watch some classic films he directed before? You’ll surely see his old style and how it evolved now. You can try some classic directors like Curtiz, Hawks, or Hitchcock. You will certainly see that movies are not only beautiful because of great scripts and artists but of great directors too.
Aside from the director, you can also watch films where Al Pacino, Katharine Hepburn, Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, or Robert De Niro became stars. You will surely be amazed of how they look, how they act, and how they changed from what they were some decades ago.
Some Classic Movies for a Family
With the many classic movies available nowadays, how can you ever start watching the kind that you and your family will surely like? It’s easy when you have a list of critically acclaimed or top-grosser films. Here are some of the movies you can try that you and your family will surely like:
– Fantasia. This was released in 1940 but until now, it can gain satisfaction from many movie viewers. Kids will surely enjoy the classical melodies and the beauty of this animated film.
– The Wizard of Oz. Released in 1939, this is one of the classic films that provided joy to children of every generation. This is a story about a girl and her dog when they get lost in a certain place. To go back to their home, they need the help of the Wizard of Oz.
– Mary Poppins. This movie, released in 1964, will give you classic songs that will make you remember the past. Children will also enjoy singing along with the movie’s songs and its scenes.
– Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. An earlier version of this was released in 1971. The most recent remake of this movie was a sure success. You and your kids might have watched that. Why not watch the older film too?
– E.T. The Extraterrestrial. This Sci-Fi drama was released in 1982 and made a lot of kids and adults cry. This is a story about an alien who befriended a boy. Children will surely learn some lessons about life and friendship with this film.
The list of great classic movies is definitely endless. You can still find other titles that will best suit the taste of your family. What’s important is that you know how to appreciate the classic movies despite the old looks they have. Anyway, what’s important with movies is not the technology they have but the lessons that children and even adults can get from them.
By GDJ from Pixabay