The Land of the Alps. A neutral territory. A country famous for good cheese and fine chocolate. These are just a few things Switzerland is known as. There are several spectacular Switzerland tourist attractions, too, which is why many travellers flock to this Swiss nation each year. Here are just five of them which should definitely be included in your itinerary.
1. The Chateau de Chillon – Located near Montreux, the Chateau de Chillon used to be the home of the Savoy nobility and is one of the most famous castles in Switzerland. It was first built in the 11th century and has 100 buildings, three courtyards and four great halls which provide tourists with enchanting views of Lake Geneva.
2. Zermatt – Although there are many beautiful ski resorts in Switzerland, Zermatt stands out as one of the top Switzerland tourist attractions because it is located at the foot of the Matterhorn, the most famous peak of the Swiss Alps. Even if you’re not into skiing, you can still enjoy the view while dining at a gourmet restaurant or shopping around the town.
3. Geneva Jet D’eau – This fountain in the heart of one of Switzerland’s major cities is one of the tallest fountains in the world, projecting water up to 140 meters high. Built in 1891, it is also considered one of the symbols of the city of Geneva.
Other sights to see in Geneva include the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum, the Cathedral de St. Pierre, as well as several other museums and historical buildings. When taking a break from sightseeing, you might want to dine at one of its excellent restaurants.
4. Swiss National Park – Although you cannot pitch a tent and spend the night at Swiss National Park, you can certainly appreciate the different views of the Alps as you go hiking, which is why it is one of the Switzerland tourist attractions worth seeing. It is also Switzerland’s only national park, covering almost half the area of the entire country. It is a sanctuary for various wildlife such as elks, marmots and eagles, as well.
5. Swiss Transport Museum – The Swiss Transport Museum is located in Lucerne and is frequented by tourists for its extensive exhibit of locomotives, ships, aircraft, automobiles and other modes of transport and communication. It is also home to the collection of paintings and sculptures by Hans Erni, and even has a Planetarium and an IMAX theatre.
These are just the top Switzerland tourist attractions. If you want to make the most of your trip, you can always see much more but as long as you visit these spots, you’re sure to understand why Switzerland is a popular tourist destination, and one you’ll want to revisit in the future.
By Snufkin from Pixabay