In our last post we talked about the importance of creating a Sitemap as part of your search engine marketing strategy and its effectiveness for you search engine optimisation efforts. One of the tools that allow you to upload and submit your sitemap is Google Webmaster. However, the importance and the benefits of using Google Webmaster Tool as part of your online marketing strategy are not limited to this.
For those of you wondering what is Google Webmaster Tools: it is a free web service by Google for webmasters. Basically, Google Webmaster allows one to check indexing status and optimise visibility of their websites. In addition to this, it is a great tool for reporting statistics and diagnosing your website’s performance in Google.
The Benefits of Using Google Webmaster for Search engine marketing: As search engine optimisation consultants we have compiled a list of task which can be performed using Google webmaster panel on regular basis. These tasks would help in doing heath check of your site as well as for creating you search engine marketing strategies.
1. Get relevant information on indexing of your site through Google Webmaster Login. It gives you access to all information from the last time Googlebot accessed your homepage to error reports regarding your URLs.
2. It allows XML Search Engine Submission of Sitemap. Google Webmaster allows submission of an XML sitemap to help Google index your deeper site pages and pages that are more difficult to find or may not yet be indexed. Once submitted, you have the option of seeing when it was last downloaded by Google and how many URLs you have submitted via your sitemap.
3. Get diagnostic data about your site. Log in to Webmaster and find the tab “Diagnostics”. Click on it to have a look over the information provided there and take actions accordingly.
4. It gives you statistics about your site. Google Webmaster gives you access to see your top search queries, top clicked search queries and information about the Page Rank distribution of your site page. You can create search engine marketing strategies based on the information you get from here.
5. It provides you with valuable insights into the anchor text of links coming to your site. From the “Statistics” tab you can click on “What Googlebot sees”. This is a very useful section for examining the anchor text of what people are using to link to your site pages. This is another important section which helps you in building important search engine marketing strategies.
6. Have access to information regarding your external link inventory. Click on the tab “Pages with external links” and gain access to the site pages which have a low number of external links and need improvement. This is very important in checking how effective is your link building campaign and how many keyword rich links are pointing to your relevant pages.
7. Generate / analyse robots.txt. Google Webmaster gives you the option to create a robots.txt file to indicate which robots you don’t want crawling your site, and which files or directories you don’t want crawled. You can also analyse them and see if it respects the modifications you made.
8. You can set a preferred domain. It allows you to set a preferred domain that will be associated with this site. For example, you can choose to always or never show the leading “www.” in Google’s search results.
9. It gives you the option of setting geographical targets. Webmaster Tools allows you to associate a particular geographic location with this site if you are targeting users within that area. In todays time when there are millions of website competing with each other, local search engine marketing is very important. In this section we can point Google bots to rank us high in the areas we are looking to promote for our website.