In one of my earlier article I have said a lot about the history of Kathi rolls, where and how it has been originated. Though it has been created for Nawabs, but it’s birthplace is Kolkata. So the bengalis naturally boasts the possession of it. Over the time, bengalis has not only owned that but made several revisions, additions and substractions to it recipe to further augument the taste.
Today, I being in a really good mood and also being a bong to the core, I thought of sharing my possession with you. Today I will give the secret recipe of the Kathi roll from my grandmom’s kitchen.
List the down the ingredients.
For the Paratha-
All purpose flour/ Maida- 4 tbsp
Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
Salt- According to taste
Hot water- To knead
For the kebabs-
Chicken cubes (about a cm in each side)- 7-8
Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tsp
Salt- According to taste
Lemon juice- 3 tsp
Curd- 2 tsp
Tandoori powder- 1 tsp
Coriander leaves- 2 tsp
Green chilly- 1
Lemon juice- 1 tsp
Black salt- 1 pinch
Begin with the preparation of the kebabs.
1. Wash and pat dry the chicken cubes.
2. Apply salt and lemon juice and rub well.
3. Whisk the curd and apply in the chicken.
4. Finally add tandoori masala and marinate it for atleast 3-hours.
In the meantime, prepare the dough for the paratha.
1. Mix well the maida, salt and 2 teaspoon of cooking oil.
2. Pour hot water in small batches and knead it to a soft dough.
3. Roll the dough into a round of approx. 8 cms in diameter.
3. In a bowl, break the egg and whisk with little salt.
Arrange the salad as well. Julienne the cucumber and onion. Chop green chilly and coriander into small pieces.
Now begin with the cooking. First the paratha-
1.Take a tawa(flat skillet), heat it and place the paratha. Cook both sides well till tiny black spots appear in the surface.
2. Now sprinkle in 1 tsp of oil over the paratha and flip immediately. Let it cook for 30 sec and do the same for the other side.
3. Remove the cooked paratha. Add a little more oil and pour in the whisked egg and immediately place the cooked paratha over it.
4. Cook for 30-40 second and remove.
Now prepare the kebabs-
1. Take a kadai. Spinkle a little oil and place the chicken cubes. Cover.
2. Let the chicken get cooked for atleast 2-3 mins and then change the side. Cook in the same way.
3. Repeat if neccessary but ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove.
Finally the complilation-
1. Place the paratha with egged side up.
2. Arrange the kebabs in the middle in a line.
3. Place the salad over the kebabs.
4. Sprinkle the lemon juice and black salt.
Now roll, roll, roll. Place a kitchen tissue from the half way the roll and secure it by crumbling the loose part at the end of the roll and tucking it in. There you go. The authentic bong versioned kathi rolls.
Well, does that sound too hectic. Yes it is. But believe me, the taste is heavenly. However, if you are still not ready to take up this messy cooking and yet want to taste is heavenly roll, then I have a way for you. Visit Fidos Cafe at New York. That’s the place where they serve authentic Kathi rolls in New York. Prepared with utmost care maintaining its full authenticity, you can just have this savory delight with the hassle of cooking. So enjoy!