You are in New York doesn’t mean that you have to rely solely on the continental and American foods. Finding an Indian restaurant in the streets of New York is no big deal now. In fact, I think there are as many Indian restaurants in New York as there are in any small to medium size city in India. You can just storm in and satisfy your Indian taste-buds at once. However, these are the my favorite five Indian food joints which are only famous of the tasty Indian food they serve but also have mesmerizing ambience inside. Well for me, good food when enjoyed in a matching atmosphere becomes much much more tastier. Find them out here:
1. Amma- Well, the name itself makes me feel very homely. It gives a feeling that the menus they serve here are secured from the recipe-books of the quintessential Indian mothers. They have an enhancting mustard-colored wall and salmon-coral banquettes that looks inviting. The menu here is varied Indian and Indian-fusion cuisines. They also serves liquor.
2. Tamarind- Another typical Indian restaurant in NYC serving varied cuisines of India. They also serve Indian fusion food. But what made it a favorite of mine is their huge ceiling-high windows which gives amazing view of Hudson and Franlin street and at the same time wash the interior of the restaurant with sparkling natural light.
3. Junoon- As the name suggests, this place has an ever-increasing passion to serve the customers with not only the best food but the best dining experience ever. It has a decor where the old world indian artistry and modern elegance have met each other in the most unique way. The interior decor mostly include hand-chiseled ribbons of carved black Indian limestone, sand stone statues, antique wood carvings and Venetian like mirrors. They served Indian and contemporary food and also serves liquor.
4. Awadh- It is a speciality restaurant that serves Awadhi food. Awadh was once a princely state of India that has its own piece of magnificient history revolving around the kings and nawabs and their extravagant lifestyles. The region has its own distinct cuisine which was contributed by these royal families who lived here. The restaurant Awadh endeavors to serve you the Awadhi cuisine with its authencity and uniqueness. To feel like a king through your tongue and in the heart of NYC, a visit to Awadh is a must.
5. Fido’s Cafe- Though the name sounds a bit English, it is actually derived from Firdosh who is a parsi by birth and a parsi by heart. Compared to the previous full-fledged big restaurants, this one is more a homely cafe where you can just get in, freak out and have some heart and tongue soothing Iranian fares at a reasonable price. The restaurant actually tops my favorite list, but I am mentioning it at last as I prefer saving the best for the end. The restaurant remains open till late hours at night and they also home delivers at that odd hours. The cafe has typical old Bombay atmosphere and serves authentic Iranian dishes that ranges from the very simple bun pav with milky Irani tea to the full-fledged meal of Parsi berry pulao, salli boti and mutton dhanshak. Snacking options include pav bhaji, kheema pav, vada pav or for that matter any parsi food that you can think of. Another interesting aspect of this cafe is that apart from Bombay’s parsi food, they also serves famous Kolkatan kathi rolls.
Now that you know the five most sought-after Indian food joints in New York, without wasting much time, just storm in.