The physicals are similar to any school or work physical or the regular check-up you get from your family physician. The driver discusses his or her health history with a licensed medical examiner and undergoes a full physical exam. A doctor, nurse practitioner or other qualified medical examiner checks the drivers’ eyes, ears, blood pressure and administers other tests, including a urine test and exercise tolerance test.
Drivers must keep a copy of their medical certificate and supporting documentation with them while driving, and employers must keep a copy of every driver’s medical certificate on file. If the driver’s medical examiner requires other information from the employee’s doctor or other medical tests, the certificate may not be sent to the employer immediately. DOT Physicals in Tyler TX are performed by a qualified medical examiner, and a licensed DOT compliance service can help trucking firms and other companies ensure all employees have DOT physicals on time and in the proper manner. Drug and alcohol testing and background checks may also be necessary in addition to DOT Physicals in Tyler TX , and a DOT compliance service will arrange theses tests and collect samples and data.
A driver with a medical condition may still be cleared to drive a commercial vehicle if the medical examiner determines that the person is healthy enough to drive. Here are a few facts from the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) regarding medical requirements for commercial vehicle drivers:
* Making the Road and Your Business Safer: DOT Physicals in Tyler TX
* The U.S. Department of Transportation requires that truck drivers and others with a CDL (commercial drivers’ license) obtain DOT Physicals in Tyler TX to ensure they are healthy enough to maneuver a big rig or other commercial vehicle.
* Drivers taking medical marijuana can’t receive DOT clearance
* Drivers who have angioplasty or stents can drive in as little as one week after the procedure if they are cleared by a cardiologist and have no complications
* Meniere’s Disease, a condition characterized by bouts of vertigo (dizziness), disqualifies drivers from medical certification
* An individual’s driving record doesn’t affect his or her ability to get a medical certificate
DATCS (Drug and Alcohol Compliance Testing) handles all types of DOT compliance for regulated businesses, contractors and the self-employed. This includes providing assistance for DOT physicals in Tyler, TX, drug and alcohol testing and motor vehicle reports. Call DATCS of Tyler TX at 903-534-3893 to schedule services. Our Tyler site offers specimen collection, after-hours service and more. Our other locations include Bossier City, LA, Wichita Falls, TX, Longview, TX, Tyler, TX and the Texarkana TX and Texarkana AR areas.
By TerriC from Pixabay