Located in the Shivalik range of Himalayas Darjeeling is also popularly known as the ‘Queen of Hills ‘. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is located on the northern side of West Bengal. It is known for its breathtaking scenic beauty. It is also a hot spot among trekkers and adventure lovers.
Places of Interest
1. Tiger Hill – The highest point in the entire region Tiger Hill offers spectacular views of the Kanchenjunga peaks. You can also catch glimpses of other peaks from this point. On a clear day the sight of Mt. Everest is magnificent. It is a popular tourist attraction included in Darjeeling honeymoon packages.
2. Ghoom Monastery – 8kms away from Darjeeling is Ghoom Monastery which has a beautiful statue of the Maitrayie Buddha and also preserves some of the rare handwritten Buddhist manuscripts. It is a popular tourist attraction included in Darjeeling honeymoon packages.
3. Batasia Loop – Founded in 1903 it is a natural history museum which has some rare collection of fauna found in the Himalayas and Bengal. You will get to see here estuarine crocodiles and a unique collection of butterflies. The mineral forms of various stones are a unique feature of this museum.
4. Senchal Lake – Located close to the Tiger Hills Senchal Lake has emerged as a popular picnic spot and supplies drinking water to Darjeeling. It is one of the popular tourist attraction included in It is a popular tourist attraction included in Darjeeling honeymoon packages.
5. Kanchenjunga View – Darjeeling offers magnificent views of the third highest peak of the world and is a popular tourist attraction included in it is a popular tourist attraction included in Darjeeling honeymoon packages. Bhan Bhakti Sarani provides exotic views of the snow covered peaks. The Chowrasta also offers mesmerizing views of the Kanchenjunga peak.
6. Zoological Garden – Located 2kms from the main town the Zoological Garden preserves some rare species of animals and birds like Siberian Tiger, Red Panda, Snow Leopards, Great Grey Birds, and Snow Yaks. You have to buy tickets to enter the zoo which is valid also for natural history museum and the mountaineering institute & museum.
7. Observatory Hill – The sights of Kanchenjunga peaks from this point will leave you spell bound. Hindus and Muslims consider this place with great reverence as there are a couple temples and monasteries located at this place. You will find here a Kali temple adorned with colorful flags.
8. Bhutia Busty Gompa – It is a monastery with backdrop of the Kanchenjunga range. Originally the Gompa used to be at the Observatory Hill and later shifted to the present place. The Gompa is a branch of the Nyingmapa sect’s Phodang Monastery in Sikkim. The monastery is very nicely decorated and consists of a copy of Tibetan Book of the Dead.
Hence we can conclude that visiting the above mentioned tourist places will definitely be an enjoyable and delightful experience for honeymooners.
By EdgarBon from Pixabay