When a person is arrested for a minor offense such as traffic violation, he or she is typically given a citation at the scene and will be released immediately. The citation given will provide the information concerning the individual’s court appearance. However, for more serious crimes, arrested individuals are booked and sent to jail until they are arraigned within 24-48 hours. During this time, the court judge will decide if the suspect will be released on bail or not.
Releasing the defendant on bail means that the suspect must first pay the court the necessary amount of money so that he or she will be temporarily released from police custody until his or her court hearing. The purpose of the bail system is to guarantee the appearance of the defendant in all of his or her proceedings and court trial. The bail amount is set by a judge depending on various factors. However, the bail amount is usually set very high which an average individual cannot immediately pay for. For this reason, the suspect will need to buy a bail bond from a bail bonds agency. This means that the suspect or his/her family or friends can look for a bail bonds agency that can put up the bail. The bail bond agency will charge a fee in exchange for posting the bond. they may even ask for additional collateral in case the defendant does not show up in any of his or her court hearings.
Suspects use the bail bonds services because they are unable to pay the full amount of their bail. This means that a third-party individual will be posting the bail bond amount. A bail bond will usually require the suspect or his/her family or friends to put up at least 10% of the bail amount, while the bail bonds agency puts up the remaining 90%. If the defendant appeared in all of his or her court dates, the bail bonds agency will get the refund of what they put up and they will also keep the 10% as their service fee. However, these agencies are vulnerable to a certain level of risk. If the defendant decides to jump bail, they will not be refunded with what they paid unless they can bring back the defendant in prison. For this reason, bounty hunters are employed by bail bonds agencies. You can learn more about them at Bail Bonds Direct’s FAQ.
Suspects will have the chance to get out of jail temporarily to arrange some details of their lives before their court hearing through posting bail. It is fortunate that there are bail bonds agencies that can provide services for the defendants when it comes to posting the right amount of bail.
By WikimediaImages from Pixabay