Food is something that can be safely said the ultimate passion of most of the people around the world. From being a bare necessity, our passion and love for food, has taken its preparation and presentation to a level of art. Around the world, there exists so many varieties and recipes of foods that most of which are not possible to be tasted by a single individual. These days presentation of food is demanding a major attraction and in fact, I have heard, that culinary schools have devoted classes only to teach how to present food. One of the ancient type of presentation of food is rolling it down. These format is the most easiest and also the most used presentation. In fact there are certain recipes that are not only rolled but also have the word “roll” in its name and are world famous as well. Let’s check out some of the world famous rolls today:
1. Rice Noodle Roll- This roll is originated from Southern China and Hongkong and is a famous cantonese dish. It is generally served as dimsum. Wide rice noodle strips are wrapped into rolls with hollow inside which are filled with prefered fillings of either veggies, chicken, pork or beef mixed with chosen spices and sauses. These thin rolls are them steamed and served hot.
2. Black Sesame Roll- Again another famous roll that have its origin in China but today are widely available in Hong Kong. It is a kind of dessert and the main ingredient of this roll, as the name suggests, is black sesame. Black sesame is made into paste mixing with sweetner and other required ingredients and are dried spreading into this layers. These thin layers when dried form thin sheets which are then rolled and are refrigerated. These rolls are served cold direct from fridge.
3. Swiss Roll- Yes, its a very commonly heard name. Its common, because its famous. This roll is originated from Central Europe. The soft spongy cake layers made from flour, eggs and sugar as the main ingredients are wrapped along with jam or butter cream to form a solid and thick roll which are then sliced horizontally and served.
4. Spring Roll- Another familiar name and most of the time a commonly ordered starter when you are indulging into chinese dinner. The roll is quite similar to that of rice noodle roll and is a dimsum. Though I am not very sure but owing to its preparation technique I guess that it too originated somewhere in Eastern or South Eastern Asia. Here the rolls are generally made with flour and are filled with common filling as that of rice noodle rolls say veggies, chicken, pork and beef. These rolls are generally fried and served with chosen sauces. It is to be noted that this roll is more widely accepted worldwide and therefore has many versions and types depending upon the region it is getting made. Each country that adopted it, tried to add some indigenous touch to it and therefore, you will find wide varieties of this rolls around the world.
5. Kathi Roll- This is a famous roll that took its first breathe in India, Kolkata to be precise, and now one of the most famous rolls found worldwide. Chunky pieces of chicken or mutton is marinated in spices and are then made into kebabs by slow-cooking them over coal fire. Six or seven such marinated pieces are pricked together in the thin but hard stick popularly called ‘kathi’ in bengali, this is where the roll got its name. These pieces are then wrapped in a paratha (chapati made with flour and then fried) along with some fresh salad and a dash of lemon juice. The roll tastes heavenly.
Fido’s Cafe at New York serves authentic kathi rolls. If you are in mood of tasting one today, give it a visit. Happy Eating!